Though many eye problems faced by people can not be helped and are genetic or just simply part of life, there are some ways that you can do your part to protect your vision as well. Our eyes our an important part of our lives, and like all other parts of our body, they need to be protected. To help you get started, take a look at just a few of the many ways you can be proactive and protect your eyes.
- Schedule Regular Exams – Unfortunately, all to often, people forget to take care of their eyes and only schedule visits to an eye doctor when something is wrong. Be proactive and avoid issues by getting regular check ups for your eyes. Note: If you have health issues such as diabetes which impact your vision, you may want to get more frequent check ups.
- Wear sunglasses – Today, this is much simpler than years ago. You can pick up a relatively inexpensive pair almost anywhere and if you wear prescription glasses, clip on sunglasses are not hard to come by as well as being able to tint your old glasses to use as sunglasses. Stop making excuses for why you don’t wear sunglasses, just put them on. UV light is not just bad for your skin but can also harm your eyes. Not only will you likely reduce your crows feet, you may lessen your risk for developing certain vision impairments as well.
- Eat healthier – Certain foods which are high in anti oxidants, lutein, carotenoids and Omega 3’s have been linked to healthier eyes as well. Put the burger down and opt for a piece of Salmon, choose spinach or kale instead of iceberg and don’t forget the fruit, your eyes will thank you and so will the rest of your body.
- Stop smoking – Whether we smoke or not, we all know its not good for our health, but did you know that it is not good for your vision either? Studies show that smokers are more likely to develop cataracts and other eye issues than non smokers.
- If you notice a problem, don’t hesitate, make an appointment right away – Many eye diseases and issues which develop, do so slowly allowing us to catch them early. If you notice anything strange in your vision, stop waiting, call and make an appointment today.
To learn more about how to protect your vision, talk to a Northern Michigan Eye Doctor at Alpine Eye Care.
Stop putting off your check up and schedule an appointment today with Alpine Eye Care. With offices in Gaylord, Grayling and Cheboygan, you can call us at 1.877.SEE.2020 or simply schedule an appointment online. Take care of your eyes, make them last a lifetime.