- Make sure your sunglasses have the proper UV protection – UV rays or ultraviolet rays are the rays from the sun which can have severe affects on us including skin cancer, premature skin aging as well as cataracts. This is why it is important to protect yourself from UV rays. Generally strongest during the summer months, it is important that you wear eye protection even if it is cloudy to prevent UV damage to your eyes.
- Consider wearing larger sunglasses – The sun can easily get around the corners or sides of your sunglasses if they are too small. Consider getting larger ones if you are still seeing a lot of sunlight around the edges of your glasses.
- Wear a hat – A hat is also very helpful for blocking out the sunlight from your eyes and lessening its damage.
- If your eyes become dry from the sun, cool them off with a cool pack or use some eye drops to re moisturize them.
- Drink plenty of water – This is just good advice in general. The more hydrated you are the more protected you are. Water is a necessary part of your body and makes up a large portion of it including in your eyes. Drink at least 9 cups a day or more.
How do you protect your eyes in the summer? Protect your eyes and your children’s eyes. No one is too young to wear sunglasses in fact, the earlier you start, the less likely you will be to suffer from summer sun damage. Your vision is a gift, be sure you do all you can to protect it no matter what season. Alpine Eye Care is an Eye Care Provider with offices in Grayling, Gaylord and Cheboygan Michigan. If you are looking for an eye care provider in Gaylord, or elsewhere in Northern Michigan, contact us to set up an appointment today at 1-877-SEE-2020 or fill out a contact form here and we will contact you.