Cataracts are a leading cause of blindness worldwide. According to the CDC, the number of American’s over 40 years old that have one or more cataracts is estimated at over 20 billion. In addition, 6.1 million American’s have had their lens removed surgically. If are suffering from cataracts and are considering cataract surgery, we invite you to take a look at the facts.
- Surgery is the only way to remove cataracts – Despite the myth that eye drops can dissolve cataracts, there is no eye drop to cure cataracts
- Cataract surgery patients generally recover quite quickly – Most people are back to normal tasks and seeing significant improvement within 24 hours
- Cataracts effect any age – Despite the fact that most people who suffer from cataracts are over 40, cataracts are not age specific. Anyone can get a cataract
- Cataracts do not grow back – This is not to say that a person who has cataract surgery will never have another cataract however it will be a secondary cataract
- Cataracts can be removed at any stage. There was a time when cataracts could only be removed at their late stages, however this is no longer true
- Cataracts are a clouding of the eye’s lens – Cataracts do NOT grow on top of the eye
- Cataract surgery is one of the most common operations in the U.S. today
- Cataract surgery is quite painless – Most people will feel mild irritation following cataract surgery. If you have pain, your doctor may suggest normal pain relievers.
- There is more than one type of cataract surgery
- Cataract surgery is one of the safest surgical procedures available – Despite its safety, complications may still arise when dealing with cataract surgery
- Cataract surgery is not right for everyone – You should always talk to your doctor before deciding if cataract surgery is right for you personally
If you are in need of eye doctors Cheboygan MI, contact Alpine Eye Care. Alpine Eye Care offers cataract surgery in Cheboygan MI. To find out if you are right for cataract surgery or to set up an appointment for other eye care issues, contact us online or by phone toll free at 1.877.SEE.2020 or directly in our Cheboygan office at 1.231.627.3169.
When dealing with issues regarding your eyes, always consult your optometrist or ophthalmologist directly. Your eyes are a gift, take care of them.